Oris Grand Crown X1 professional flight watch, with chronograph movement and slide rule function.
On October 14, 1947, the Bell X1 aircraft successfully conducted its first manned supersonic flight, breaking the sound barrier and being recorded in history. To pay tribute to this amazing flight, the Oris Large Crown X1 Professional Flight Watch came into being. A major feature of this watch is the historic slide rule design, which is also waterproof to 300 meters.
In the days when computers and portable calculators did not exist, Bell X1 pilots relied on specially designed slide rules for engineering calculations and demonstrated amazing flight skills. In honor of these pilots, Oris made a round slide rule version on this brand new watch.
The surface of the watch is also coated with a gunmetal PVD coating, reflecting the copper hue of the Bell X-1 aircraft of the year. The watch timer’s reset button is printed with an ‘X’ logo, and the timekeeping start-stop button is printed with an ‘I’ logo, echoing the name of Bell X1.
To pay tribute to the Bell X1, the watch’s timer reset button is printed with an ‘X’ logo, and the timer start-stop button is printed with an ‘I’ logo.
The Oris Grand Crown X1 professional flight watch is not only a noble salute to flying history, but also the streamline cutting and precision design of this watch provides every pilot with all necessary and relevant data. Compared with computerized aviation systems, it is by no means inferior.
Oris has a long history of producing flight watches and has gained a good reputation. Therefore, the Oris large crown X1 professional flight watch launched this time will surely become an eternal classic version.
Oris Large Crown X1 Professional Flight Watch
Diameter: 46mm Watch number: 675 7648 4264 LB
• Automatic mechanical movement with timing function. The central display shows the seconds, and the small face plate displays the minutes and seconds. The date is displayed between 4 and 5 o’clock.
• 3-piece stainless steel case with gunmetal PVD coating
• Double-sided sapphire crystal
• Threaded back with mineral glass case back and meter / feet scale
• Rotatable outer top ring equipped with slide rule inside case
• Screw-down stainless steel crown and buttons, gunmetal PVD coating
• Water resistant to 300 meters
• Scale and pointer have fluorescent function
• Dark brown calfskin strap with contrasting stitching, stainless steel buckle with PVD coating
• The scale of the slide rule is fitted on the outside of the meter box. The complete gift box includes a history of certificates and watches. Also included is a DVD of the movie ‘The Right Stuff’ directed by Philip Kaufman.
• Swiss retail price: CHF 3’350